24 February 2009

Ethiopian Cuisine

The other night, I had the pleasure of dining at Abyssinia, an Ethiopian restaurant/bar at 45th and Locust Sts in Philadelphia.



I ordered shiro wot, which is made of split peas and spices and things (I think that's what it was... I could be remembering incorrectly. Either way, it was some type of gooey legume and it was absolutely delicious.) It was served without forks or knives or spoons. The only eating utensil was injera--a pancake-like bread made out of teff flour. You just scoop up the food with it and enjoy!


The portion I was served did not look huge, but by the end of the meal, I was too full to finish the injera.

I think my entree cost around 7$. I'd say that's a pretty good price for food so delicious. I plan on returning to Abyssinia in the not so distant future. I wonder if they have any good drink specials...

Ah, well, that's another adventure for another time.

I think I'm going to try to cook some Ethiopian cuisine sometime in the near future. We'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment